Monday, January 19, 2015

Week 33: Katsura - right in the center of Kyoto

Closing an area is the hardest thing I have ever done. Last week we found out that our darling precious Tsuyama was closing to sister missionaries. That means that we had to pack up all of our stuff, and all of the things in the apartment. We had to give all of the left over food and supplies to the Elders, and say good bye to everyone. Leaving your first area is hard, and it is even harder when you know that no more sisters are coming... There were lots of tears this last week, and lots of  wondering why. And most importantly, there was a lot of praying. Praying for understanding, praying to know that somehow, everything would be alright. And although my heart breaks for all of my loved ones in Tsuyama, I know that everything will be alright, because it is all in the Lord's hands. On Tuesday we were able to see T Shimai and A Chan one last time. Seeing them really helped to reassure me that everything would be okay. T Shimai and her sweet family will be just fine. I was also able to see H one last time. Saying goodbye to everyone was the hardest. I think that is the worst part, knowing that some of these people I may never see again. I am so grateful for technology. Knowing that I will be able to hear from them, and see how they are all doing helped to calm my heart. Man oh man how I am going to miss my darling precious Tsuyama.


With all of that said, I truly do love it here in Katsura. 

Larkin Shimai is amazing, and I am enjoying working with her. She keeps me busy. :) The ward is amazing, very small for a ward (only about 40 active members), but amazing none-the-less. I know I am going to love it here. It is a little weird seeing so many people, and buildings everywhere, especially since I have gotten so used to all of the rice fields, and hills. So that has been quite the change. Our investigators here are great, and I am excited to meet all of them. There are also a lot of young moms here with little kids... I am in heaven. I really have missed seeing all of the families and babies. Our ward doesn't have a primary right now, but we have three different investigators with children ages 1-8, so we are hoping that there will lots of kids and noise soon. :) Since I have been here, we have taught 3 lessons, and gone streeting (one time we ending up biking right into this big snow storm), and housing. I really love being out and about serving the Lord. Being a missionary is the best, and even better when you get to focus on the needs of those around you rather than on yourself. It's the best. 


This week, I have been studying in the Book of Mormon. I am in 3 Nephi right now, and have been reading about right before Christ comes to the Americas. Something that I have thought about recently is what an amazing teacher Christ is. He is so wonderful at teaching with parables, and stories, and analogies. Something that Larkin Shimai and I were talking about yesterday was about how Christ teaches us in analogies so that we can understand things better. It is like if you were trying to teach a deep sea fish about flying a kite. You couldn't explain to him about air, and about this string that flies in the sky... Instead you would have to teach him in a way that he could better relate and understand. You would have to use currents, and fishing lines instead. Something that I want to learn to be better at this year, is teaching like the Savior. 

I love you all, and I am grateful each and everyone of you. You are always in my thoughts and in my prayers!

Love,
Robertson Shimai

Ps. Everyone in my new area still gets a kick out of my name. Robotosan San/Shimai. Sometimes they just call me Roboto San/Shimai, or I even heard Robo Shimai, because that was easier. :) Haha. It's the best.

When you give talks the members give you notes. :) So sweet!
Buildings, for days...


"Today I just want to talk about one very special person we have had the privilege of working with. Her name is U shimai and she is Less Active. We visited her and invited her back. That was all she needed. She now rides a train and walks 30 minutes with her 2 year old son to get to church every Sunday. She has come 2 Sundays in a row now. Yesterday we found her standing outside the Bishops office with an envelope in her hand. She told us that she was there to pay her tithing but she didnt know how. This a single mom that doesnt have a job an hasnt been to church in 20 years. She also informed us that she has stopped drinking tea again.  Some people are just ready. They are so amazing and God works in people`s hearts in the most wonderful ways!!"

Me and Larkin Shimai :)

Ward Nabe Party :)


No comments:

Post a Comment