Wednesday, March 5, 2014

84 days left

As my mission approaches, and more and more time passes, I have come to realize some of the things I will miss the most.

Sure I will miss movies, and music. I'll miss driving, and sleeping in. Books, and swimming. I could go on and on for days about the things I'll miss. Sure, a lot of the things would have to be more specific - like Tangled, Hercules, Frozen, all the new movies that will come out while I am on my mission, etc. But, honestly, I know I will miss something else way more. People. More specifically, my family and friends. I will miss all the big life events that are sure to happen while I am gone: weddings, babies, homecomings. I will miss all the little things too: birthdays, Christmas, everyone growing up. It's going to be tough. But OH so worth it.

When I think about my mission, I just get so excited to serve the Lord. A lot of the time I feel like I can't even control my enthusiasm! I'M GOING TO JAPAN! I AM GOING TO SERVE A MISSION IN JAPAN! What makes it even better, is that I know that is where I need to be, and I couldn't be happier.

Last week, I had the week off. I was able to spend lots of needed time with my family. One of my favorite things that happened, was on my birthday. It started at midnight when I let H (15 year old sister with a permit) drive me to the store, because I was legally old enough to be the licensed adult passenger. We went to Walmart to pick up some last minute things for dinner the next day (because that is the kindof thing you do with your sister at midnight). Although we were both tired, it was nice to spend some time with her, and help her to feel special (she had been wanting to drive with me for MONTHS but I always said no because it was still against the law, but the second it became legal no matter what time of day it was, I let her drive with me). After we got home, I headed straight to bed and got to sleep in a little bit. That morning I woke up, got ready, and went to a local high school's showing of The Wizard of Oz with my family. It was fantastic! Then we went out to lunch at Zaxbys. At lunch, everyone was being crazy (as per usual), and L (my little brother) kept stroking my face while singing one of the songs (I wish I could remember what it was!). It was so obnoxious at the time, but looking back at it now, it was so sweet that he was devoting all his attention to me, the birthday girl. He even told me that he had to do whatever I wanted because it was my birthday. :) After lunch we headed home and I went to the bookstore with H and M. H got to drive again, and although I had no need in going to the bookstore, I was happy to go with them. :) I was happy to spend some time with my sisters. Once home, I worked on finishing making cupcakes while my mom and dad worked on getting dinner ready. The Elders came over and helped get dinner ready too. S came downstairs and told me that it wasn't okay for me to be decorating my own cupcakes, so she took over and I was instructed to go sit down. It was so nice to feel so loved by everyone. After dinner we all had to go to a ward dessert auction (fundraiser for Girl's Camp), but before we all left, I was told I needed to open up my presents first. :)

The Elders even brought me a present. Which takes me to a little bit of a side story. The day that I received my mission call in the mail, Elder Hunt and Elder Scott came over. They were there when I opened my call and read that I was called to serve in the Japan Kobe Mission. I remember them saying that they had a present for me. I was just thinking that they were going to get me a Japanese copy of the Book of Mormon, which would have been awesome. But instead I got something even more thoughtful (and awesome). When the Elders, now Elder Hunt and Elder Thompson came over for dinner on my birthday, and Elder Hunt was carrying a present, I felt so special! They didn't have to get me anything, but they did. When I opened my present, and saw inside two Japanese drinks, I was so excited. Some of the coolest things we had when we lived in Japan were these drinks that had a narrow skinny neck, with a marble inside (but the marble didn't come out when you had a drink, it stayed in place). Anyways, it was just super thoughtful. :) And something that they had thought about since I opened my call two months ago.

Next I opened cards and a present from my family. :) They were all cute, but L's card was a super hero card with awesome boots. Earlier that week, my mom and I had ordered boots for my mission, and they happened to come when I wasn't around so I had no idea they had already arrived. After I read his card, L told me that he had gotten me boots! Even though I knew who they were really from, it was a really cute thought and gesture. Haha. At the Dessert Auction, everyone sang Happy Birthday, and I felt so loved.

Okay, now here comes one of the things that I will miss most while I am on my mission. Sorry for getting off track. After we got home, I wanted to watch a family movie. I looked and looked and looked, but nothing sparked my interest. I mentioned a couple of things, but then some one else wasn't happy with it. L told me that he wasn't going to watch a movie with us (as he was playing games on the computer). Well, as I was looking and looking for a movie, L all of the sudden came out of his room dressed like a pirate and did a little dance and song for us. It was SO cute and funny! I had the idea to have both he and M act out different scenes from movies while H and I watched and enjoyed. Those were some of the best most hilarious hours of my life. :) Every once in a while we all get along really well, and when we do, it generally ends in tears from laughing so hard.

So, while I will miss all of the little worldly things, what I will miss most is my family, and all of the laughter. :)


Sister Robertson

And because I know you want to see what I mean about my crazy family, here is a video we made a couple of years ago before I went off to school. You're welcome. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qqFOHx9bI

No comments:

Post a Comment